Skip to main content

[Guide] Installing Microsoft Office 2016 on Ubuntu Using WINE

WINE is a compatibility layer that lets Linux users install and run Windows applications. It is not a virtual machine or an emulator. In simple words the compatibility layer translates Windows calls to Linux calls and thus something that can be understood by the underlying Linux system.

For GUI folks (like me), PlayOnLinux is a graphical frontend to manage WINE applications. It also helps to automate some processes during the execution of the EXE files through the use of POL Scripts.

All along POL  has a script that installs Microsoft Office 2010 to a point where it runs quite smoothly and mostly bug-free. However, future versions of Office have failed to be installed or run properly.

As I was playing around with a copy of Microsoft Office 2016, I was able to get Microsoft Office 2016 running "well enoughTM" such that it can be used on a day-to-day basis. Here I will outline the steps I have done to accomplish

My laptop is running Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS and has POL 4.2.12-1 installed (from Ubuntu repositories). I based the installation steps on the Microsoft Office 2010 script and the Ubuntu Forums here.

Installation
  1. Install POL, all dependencies, and tools using apt-get
  2. sudo apt-get install wine-stable:i386 playonlinux winbind \
                               smbclient
    gnome-disk-utility
  3. Start up POL and go to Tools > Manage Wine versions. Proceed to install the 32-bit version of WINE version 4.15.
  4. Grab a copy of the IMG file of Microsoft Office 2016 that you have activated using your Microsoft Account. Be sure to check "Offline install" as the Online installer will crash within the first 10 seconds.
  5. Once downloaded, mount the IMG file as a disk. You can use "Disk Image Mounter" that comes with GNOME Disk Utility to mount the file.
  6. Click on "Configure" on POL. We will need to customise the POL drive before we start installation.
  7. Add a new drive by clicking on "New" and name the drive as you wish. The configurations are as below:-
    • 32 bits windows installation
    • Wine version 4.15
    • Name the drive accordingly
  8. Select the new drive and click on the "Install Components" tab and install msxml6 and riched20.
  9. Once done, navigate to the "Wine" tab and click on "Configure Wine".
  10. In the "Applications" tab, set the Windows version to "Windows 7".
  11. In the "Libraries" tab, set the following settings:-
    • riched20 (native, builtin)
    • msxml6 (native, builtin)
  12. Close the Wine Config window, and open the "Registry Editor".
  13. Navigate to HKCU\Software\Wine and right click on the "Wine" folder > New > Key
  14. Rename the new key to "Direct2D".
  15. Right click on "Direct2D" > New > DWORD Value.
  16. Rename the new DWORD to max_version_factory.
  17. Double click on "max_version_factory" and make sure that it is set to 0.
  18. Close the Registry Editor.
  19. On the POL Configure window, navigate to the "Miscellaneous" and click on "Run a .exe file in this vertual drive".
  20. Select "setup.exe" in the mounted IMG file downloaded from office.com
  21. The installation window will be half black. If you have a system tray, the MSO logo will appear. Clicking on it will show progress. It will also show a balloon when installation completed.
  22. Kill all processes using the Kill processes button in the POL Configuration window (it is safe to do so after installation completes).
  23. Create application shortcuts as needed (in the "General" tab).
  24. Copy "AppvIsvSubsystems32.dll" and "C2R32.dll" from <office2016-root>/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/ClickToRun/ to <office2016-root>/Program Files/Microsoft Office/root/Office16/
  25. Start any of the Office applications. It will prompt that Office is not activated. DO NOT use the license key that came in the box of the Office 2016 -- it will not work.
  26. Instead, go back to office.com > My Account > Service & Subscriptions .
  27. Under the "Install" link there is a "Show Product Key" link. Clicking on it reveals a product key different from the one you have in the box. Use this license key to activate Office instead.
  28. Once done, Office will be activated and can be used.
Bugs
  • All drop down menus will require some weird clicks to work. For me I needed to double click the drop down button, then the next single click will open the drop down menu.
  • The windows that spawn also have some quirks. For me, when windowed, I am able to drag the windows as per normal. However, I am not able to maximise the windows by dragging it to the top of my screen, and it will not move if I attempt to drag the window out of the maximised state.
  • The Maximise/Restore button does not work. I have to rely on my window manager shortcut keys to maximise or restore the windows.
To wrap up, I put this here for one to remind myself on how to do it when I reinstall my OS (which is often), and I also hope that this guide will help someone who happen to chance upon this blog.

Thanks for reading this post, sorry for not posting for a LONG time. I'll try to make it more consistent in the future. You're awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Project] Pi-based Laptop (Part 2 - The SBC)

In Part 1 of the Pi-based Laptop, I have mentioned that I needed to look for an SBC that is more powerful than the Raspberry Pi 3B+ to power the laptop. Do refer back to that particular post to check out what I am looking for. Since there are so many SBCs in the market now, I have decided to be very strict in my elimination process. As long as the SBC does not hit one of the core criterias that will affect performance, it will be dropped. I will, however, make some leeway for criterias that should not affect the performance too much such as the WiFi not supporting 802.11ac. After searching around (admittedly it got boring very quickly), I have narrowed down my search a little by including major boards that run on the RockChip RK3399 (hexa-core, 4-cores @ 1.5GHz, 2- cores @ 2.0GHz). I have also included boards that seem powerful enough on paper. The budget I'm looking at? SG$180 for the SBC and its components (~US$140). So here are the final contenders: Rock64 RockPro64

[Post] Logitech K375s Multi-device Keyboard

Image from logitech.com If you are like me and have a tendency to work across multiple computers, then you will appreciate the functionalities that the Logitech K375s can provide you. The keyboard comes with a Logitech Unifying receiver, which can pair up to 6 devices per dongle, and is pretty much plug-and-play on any PCs. It also comes with a handy smartphone stand, which has also served me pretty well. The magic in this keyboard is the ability to pair with up to 3 different devices, either through Bluetooth or Unifying. "But Tim, there are those other Logitech keyboards that also support multiple devices and are cheaper" I hear. Well, I personally prefer full-sized keyboards, as well as the better-feeling keys. When I was looking for a new keyboard, some of the options I looked at were the K480 and K780. While they offer similar functionalities, I turned down the K480 because it is not a full-sized keyboard; while I turned down the K780 due to the short key press